Nicole Paquette, vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, said the victim of Wednesday's attack should never have been in the enclosure with the animal.
"These are big cats that are extremely dangerous, and they placed a volunteer in the actual cage with a wild animal," she said. "That should have never happened."
Officials at another big cat sanctuary, Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Fla., told The Associated Press last year that at least 21 people, including five children, have been killed and 246 mauled by exotic cats in the United States since 1990. Over that period, 254 cats escaped and 143 were killed.
In 2007, a tiger at the San Francisco Zoo was killed by police after jumping out of its enclosure and fatally mauling a 17-year-old boy and injuring two other people.
Cat Haven has housed Bengal tigers, jaguars and leopards as well as bobcats native to the area. The facility's website says it promotes conservation and preservation of wild cats in their native habitats and offers visitors tours and educational outreach.
Anderson said Project Survival would investigate to see if the intern and the other worker on-site followed the group's protocols.
"We take every precaution to ensure the safety of our staff, animals and guests," he said in a statement.
Paul Hanson said his daughter graduated from Mountlake Terrace High School and was a 2011 graduate of Western Washington University in Bellingham, Wash., where she majored in biology.
From her early childhood, "she had a thing for lions and tigers, especially tigers," he recalled.
During college, she worked at what Hanson described as "a sizeable estate" outside Bellingham that was home to exotic animals, including three tigers and a lion. It was there she learned to care for the cats, he said.
Associated Press writers Kathy McCarthy in Seattle, Garance Burke in San Francisco and Sue Manning in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
- Did woman sway boy to kill his dad? Court...
- South Africa: Rescued lions explore new home...
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for...
- Terminating parental rights: State policies...
- Man abandoned 30 years ago tries to find his...
- Woman struck, killed by duck boat in downtown...
- Obama out: President takes last shots at...
- 'Holy Fire,' fireworks: Orthodox Christians...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 89
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 56
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Violence follows California Trump... 35
- ... 35
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 23
- Former House speaker sentenced to more... 20