Doug Robinson: Quincy Lewis was born to coach
The Naismith Coach of the Year followed Dad's footsteps — not advice
His coaching apprenticeship also took him to Utah Valley and to Southern Utah before he landed the Lone Peak job.
"I've found all those things my dad told me to be true, but I love the game and working with the kids and the camaraderie with other coaches," says Lewis.
He regularly consults his father about his team, talking on the phone or in person after every game. "Sometimes he tells you things you don't want to hear," says Quincy. "He's not one to mince words."
During his first year as the Lone Peak coach, when the team was undefeated, he invited his father to a practice to evaluate the team and his practice. "He wrote down 33 items," says Lewis. "Two were positive — the first two. You've got to listen to a guy who knows what he's talking about."
His father developed a passion for an up-tempo style of play while regularly attending John Wooden camps at UCLA and serving as an assistant to Provo coach Jim Spencer. Lewis has earned a reputation for the same style of play, and continues to study the game. He records NCAA tournament games and orders instructional videos to study in the off-season.
"A few years ago Butler had outstanding set plays, so we actually run three of their sets now," says Lewis. "And their help defense was outstanding, too. I watched San Francisco play BYU on TV and they had some really good things they did with ball screens. And I use a little of the continuity offense that BYU uses."
So it has all worked out for the coach's son who eschewed his father's advice and followed him into the coaching profession. In a couple of weeks he will be given coaching's highest honor.
"The truth of the matter — and we all know this — is that it's a team and program honor as much as a coach's," he says.
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35