The Wall Street Journal recently reported on survey results that show one-third of employees experience chronic work-related stress.
"Too much work, too little money and not enough opportunity for growth are stressing us out on the job, according to a new survey from the American Psychological Association.
"One-third of employees experience chronic stress related to work, the survey found. Women report higher levels of work stress than men, as well as a gnawing sense that they are underappreciated and underpaid.
"Fifty-four percent of the 1,501 employed adults surveyed say they feel they are paid too little for their contributions, and 61% said their jobs don't offer adequate opportunities to advance. Only half of the adults polled said they feel valued at work.
"Women feel especially stuck and tense, the association survey indicates. Thirty-two percent of women said their employers don't provide sufficient opportunities for internal advancement, compared with 30% of men. Women are more likely to feel tense during a typical workday, reporting more often that their employer doesn't appreciate what they do.
"The annual survey, conducted in January and released Tuesday, found the proportion of chronically stressed individuals has shrunk to 35% this year, compared with 41% in 2012, suggesting an improving economy and job market are making some people's work lives easier. But smaller percentages reported satisfaction with their jobs and work-life balance compared with 2012two areas that had been on the upswing."
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against Obama
- Witness: More Oklahoma bombing videos may exist
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 25
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 20
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 14