The Wall Street Journal recently reported on survey results that show one-third of employees experience chronic work-related stress.
"Too much work, too little money and not enough opportunity for growth are stressing us out on the job, according to a new survey from the American Psychological Association.
"One-third of employees experience chronic stress related to work, the survey found. Women report higher levels of work stress than men, as well as a gnawing sense that they are underappreciated and underpaid.
"Fifty-four percent of the 1,501 employed adults surveyed say they feel they are paid too little for their contributions, and 61% said their jobs don't offer adequate opportunities to advance. Only half of the adults polled said they feel valued at work.
"Women feel especially stuck and tense, the association survey indicates. Thirty-two percent of women said their employers don't provide sufficient opportunities for internal advancement, compared with 30% of men. Women are more likely to feel tense during a typical workday, reporting more often that their employer doesn't appreciate what they do.
"The annual survey, conducted in January and released Tuesday, found the proportion of chronically stressed individuals has shrunk to 35% this year, compared with 41% in 2012, suggesting an improving economy and job market are making some people's work lives easier. But smaller percentages reported satisfaction with their jobs and work-life balance compared with 2012two areas that had been on the upswing."
- AirAsia plane carrying 162 lost in stormy...
- Cancer patient turns big goodbye to wedding...
- Box Office: 'Hobbit' wins Christmas, 'Big...
- Heroes 2014: Meet the disruptive visionary...
- Q&A on what might have happened to AirAsia...
- Yes-We-Can president faces twilight of maybes
- Key developments in disappearance of AirAsia jet
- What the Senate’s tax break extensions...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Yes-We-Can president faces twilight of... 14
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 13
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- N. Korea compares Obama to monkey in... 10
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 7
- Largest quarterly GDP growth since 2003... 7
- Jeb Bush to step down from Tenet... 5