JALEN MOORE, Sky View, basketball: Nobody outside of Smithfield considered Sky View a threat to win the 4A state tournament last week, but this senior Utah State recruit made it all possible.
He averaged 19.5 points and 7.0 rebounds over four playoff games at Weber State to lead Sky View to its first state title since 1994.
His dramatic half-court shot in the semifinals against Bountiful secured a 63-60 win for Sky View and simultaneously earned Moore ESPN SportsCenter fame.
Moore scored 28 points in the first round, 16 in the quarterfinals, 18 in the semifinals against Bountiful and then 16 in the championship against region rival Mountain Crest.
Moore finished the season averaging 21.6 points, ranking him seventh in the entire state, and 7.0 rebounds.
ASHLEY PRICE, Layton, girls basketball: The first half of the season, Ashley Price was content to play the role of a traditional point guard.
"She just distributed the ball, played her defensive role, just ran our plays because we were playing so well," said Layton head coach and her father Van Price. But injuries to key players slowed the team's offense, and it was Price who filled the void, especially in the playoffs where the Lancers finished second in a heartbreaking loss to Riverton.
"Ashley took on a bigger role to start helping our team more," Price said. "The last half of the season was a dress rehearsal for all of those comebacks. …The comebacks are when Ashley had to do some things — get steals, start driving, get to the free-throw line. Her confidence grew, and she just started playing better and better."
The honor student (3.8 GPA) is an easy-going, fun-loving girl who has a serious competitive streak.
"When it's time to turn it on, she turns it on," the coach said. "When it's time to be the point guard, she does that. She just does what's needed."
To nominate a prep of the week, contact Deseret News prep editor James Edward at email@example.com
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon State opens the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 114
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 32
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 26
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 22