JALEN MOORE, Sky View, basketball: Nobody outside of Smithfield considered Sky View a threat to win the 4A state tournament last week, but this senior Utah State recruit made it all possible.
He averaged 19.5 points and 7.0 rebounds over four playoff games at Weber State to lead Sky View to its first state title since 1994.
His dramatic half-court shot in the semifinals against Bountiful secured a 63-60 win for Sky View and simultaneously earned Moore ESPN SportsCenter fame.
Moore scored 28 points in the first round, 16 in the quarterfinals, 18 in the semifinals against Bountiful and then 16 in the championship against region rival Mountain Crest.
Moore finished the season averaging 21.6 points, ranking him seventh in the entire state, and 7.0 rebounds.
ASHLEY PRICE, Layton, girls basketball: The first half of the season, Ashley Price was content to play the role of a traditional point guard.
"She just distributed the ball, played her defensive role, just ran our plays because we were playing so well," said Layton head coach and her father Van Price. But injuries to key players slowed the team's offense, and it was Price who filled the void, especially in the playoffs where the Lancers finished second in a heartbreaking loss to Riverton.
"Ashley took on a bigger role to start helping our team more," Price said. "The last half of the season was a dress rehearsal for all of those comebacks. …The comebacks are when Ashley had to do some things — get steals, start driving, get to the free-throw line. Her confidence grew, and she just started playing better and better."
The honor student (3.8 GPA) is an easy-going, fun-loving girl who has a serious competitive streak.
"When it's time to turn it on, she turns it on," the coach said. "When it's time to be the point guard, she does that. She just does what's needed."
To nominate a prep of the week, contact Deseret News prep editor James Edward at email@example.com
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Season-ending victory hurts Utah Jazz's...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 56
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 54
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 47
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 28
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24