PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers overcame two early goals by Fabian Espindola to forge a 3-all draw with the New York Red Bulls in both teams' Major League Soccer season opener on Sunday night.
Argentine midfielder Diego Valeri scored his first goal for the Timbers, who played before a sellout crowd of 20,674 at Jeld-Wen Field. Darlington Nagbe's goal in the second half pulled Portland closer before an own goal that bounced off of Olave in the 83rd minute tied it.
The Red Bulls struck early with a goal from MLS veteran Espindola, acquired with Olave from Real Salt Lake in a three-way trade that also sent midfielder Will Johnson to the Timbers for allocation money.
Valeri scored the equalizer, bounding between two defenders and firing out of New York goal keeper Luis Robles' reach in the 13th minute. But Espindola put the Red Bulls back ahead with a left-footed rocket from the right side.
Olave scored off a cross from Heath Pearce to put New York up 3-1. Portland narrowed the match after the break when Nagbe rebounded a shot off Robles in the 56th minute, before the own goal caromed off Olave and past Robles as the clock wound down.
GALAXY 4, FIRE 0: At Carson, Calif., Mike Magee scored three times and the Galaxy beat the Chicago Fire in the first game of the season for the two-time defending MLS champions.
Magee volleyed home a deflected cross in the 38th minute, converted Robbie Keane's pass in the 68th and finished a rebound in the 74th. Keane then finished the scoring in the 80th minute.
It was the Chicago-born Magee's first career hat trick and just his second multigoal game in 11 MLS seasons.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45