PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers overcame two early goals by Fabian Espindola to forge a 3-all draw with the New York Red Bulls in both teams' Major League Soccer season opener on Sunday night.
Argentine midfielder Diego Valeri scored his first goal for the Timbers, who played before a sellout crowd of 20,674 at Jeld-Wen Field. Darlington Nagbe's goal in the second half pulled Portland closer before an own goal that bounced off of Olave in the 83rd minute tied it.
The Red Bulls struck early with a goal from MLS veteran Espindola, acquired with Olave from Real Salt Lake in a three-way trade that also sent midfielder Will Johnson to the Timbers for allocation money.
Valeri scored the equalizer, bounding between two defenders and firing out of New York goal keeper Luis Robles' reach in the 13th minute. But Espindola put the Red Bulls back ahead with a left-footed rocket from the right side.
Olave scored off a cross from Heath Pearce to put New York up 3-1. Portland narrowed the match after the break when Nagbe rebounded a shot off Robles in the 56th minute, before the own goal caromed off Olave and past Robles as the clock wound down.
GALAXY 4, FIRE 0: At Carson, Calif., Mike Magee scored three times and the Galaxy beat the Chicago Fire in the first game of the season for the two-time defending MLS champions.
Magee volleyed home a deflected cross in the 38th minute, converted Robbie Keane's pass in the 68th and finished a rebound in the 74th. Keane then finished the scoring in the 80th minute.
It was the Chicago-born Magee's first career hat trick and just his second multigoal game in 11 MLS seasons.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44