PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers overcame two early goals by Fabian Espindola to forge a 3-all draw with the New York Red Bulls in both teams' Major League Soccer season opener on Sunday night.
Argentine midfielder Diego Valeri scored his first goal for the Timbers, who played before a sellout crowd of 20,674 at Jeld-Wen Field. Darlington Nagbe's goal in the second half pulled Portland closer before an own goal that bounced off of Olave in the 83rd minute tied it.
The Red Bulls struck early with a goal from MLS veteran Espindola, acquired with Olave from Real Salt Lake in a three-way trade that also sent midfielder Will Johnson to the Timbers for allocation money.
Valeri scored the equalizer, bounding between two defenders and firing out of New York goal keeper Luis Robles' reach in the 13th minute. But Espindola put the Red Bulls back ahead with a left-footed rocket from the right side.
Olave scored off a cross from Heath Pearce to put New York up 3-1. Portland narrowed the match after the break when Nagbe rebounded a shot off Robles in the 56th minute, before the own goal caromed off Olave and past Robles as the clock wound down.
GALAXY 4, FIRE 0: At Carson, Calif., Mike Magee scored three times and the Galaxy beat the Chicago Fire in the first game of the season for the two-time defending MLS champions.
Magee volleyed home a deflected cross in the 38th minute, converted Robbie Keane's pass in the 68th and finished a rebound in the 74th. Keane then finished the scoring in the 80th minute.
It was the Chicago-born Magee's first career hat trick and just his second multigoal game in 11 MLS seasons.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19