Tony Ding, Associated Press
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Trey Burke stole the ball from Keith Appling near midcourt and went in alone for a dunk with 22 seconds remaining, then made another steal in the final seconds to give No. 4 Michigan a pulsating 58-57 win over No. 9 Michigan State on Sunday.
The Spartans (22-7, 11-5 Big Ten) had the ball with the shot clock off at 56-all, but Burke's first big defensive play enabled Michigan (24-5, 11-5) to take the lead. After Derrick Nix made one of two free throws and Mitch McGary missed the front end of a 1-and-1 for Michigan, Burke stole a pass by Gary Harris to end it.
The Michigan State loss clinches at least a share of the Big Ten title for Indiana.
PURDUE 69, No. 17 WISCONSIN 56: At Madison, Wis., D.J. Byrd scored 16 of his 22 points in the second half and Purdue upset Wisconsin.
Terone Johnson added 16 points for the Boilermakers (14-15, 7-9 Big Ten), who had lost three straight road games and four of five overall. Purdue took control with a 21-3 run in the second half during which Byrd had nine points and Johnson eight.
Jared Berggren scored 13 points and Ryan Evans and had 10 apiece for the Badgers (20-9, 11-5).
No. 23 PITTSBURGH 73, VILLANOVA 64, OT: At Pittsburgh, Talib Zanna scored nine of his 14 points in overtime and Pittsburgh rallied past Villanova.
Zanna added a career-high 19 rebounds for the Panthers (23-7, 11-6 Big East), who trailed by as much as nine in the second half. James Robinson also had 14 points for Pitt, including a game-tying 3-pointer with 33 seconds left in regulation and another in overtime that gave the Panthers a five-point lead.
Ryan Arcidiacono led Villanova with 23 points but the Wildcats (18-12, 9-8) let an opportunity slip away.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35