FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Davion Berry scored 25 points, Scott Bamforth added 20 and Weber State won its ninth straight contest by outlasting Northern Arizona 80-78 in overtime Saturday.
Weber State (22-5, 16-2 Big Sky) led 37-29 at halftime but the Lumberjacks used a 20-5 run to begin the second half, capped off by a Gabe Rogers 3-pointer, to take a 49-42 lead with 8:32 remaining in the game.
"We kind of put ourselves in a bad position and lost our energy in the second half and became stagnant," said WSU head coach Randy Rahe. "But our players never quit believing they could win, and we were able to find a way to get it done. We had a lot of guys step up and contribute, which is what you have to have to win on the road."
Trailing 69-67 with 11 seconds left, Berry hit a pair of free throws to send it to overtime, and the Wildcats scored the first seven points in overtime to hold off NAU (11-18, 8-10).
Rogers hit six 3-pointers and finished with 25 points to lead the Lumberjacks. DeWayne Russell had 17 points, seven assists and six rebounds. Max Jacobsen also finished with 17 points.
Weber State shot 47.3 percent and 39 percent from the 3-point line. The Wildcats came into the game leading the nation in both categories. NAU shot 42 percent from the field for the game. WSU was 19-of-23 from the foul line, including 15-of-19 in the second half and overtime.
Weber State also outrebounded Northern Arizona 38-34 but the 'Cats did commit 19 turnovers.
The victory was Weber State's 10th road win of the season, the Wildcats' most road wins in a season in 43 years.
But Weber State still needs Montana, which edged Montana State 71-68 on Saturday, to lose one of its last three league games for the Wildcats to have a chance at winning the Big Sky regular-season title and the right to host the conference tournament.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25