Officials in a Georgia city are reluctant to allow a boy scout to renovate a war memorial and are consulting with veterans about how to best proceed with the project.
"CUMMING, Ga. A Boy Scout pursuing his Eagle rank wants to give new life to Cumming's Veterans War Memorial, but city leaders put the brakes on his project as they consult with veterans on how to pursue.
"Samuel Belnap, 13, a leader in Senior Troop 423, proposed doing work at the memorial, 301 Veterans Memorial Boulevard. He presented his ideas to Cumming City Council members at their Feb. 19 regular meeting and said he and his troop would foot the $5,000 estimated cost of the project.
"'Some of the monuments are in a state of disrepair and neglect,' Belnap said.
"Belnap proposed fixing cracked walkways, changing out broken lights and adding sun-shaded benches.
"Among the changes, adding signs to identify the memorial from the road at both entrances adjacent to the Cumming Police Department."
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose marriage,...
- If Pinterest makes you feel like a failure as...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Stuart Edge, Alex Boye, other Utah artists...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 36
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 16
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5