RSL notebook: MLS wants be among best leagues by 2022, UVU hires former RSL coach, FIFA match fixing
Mark J. Terrill, AP
Major League Soccer is giving itself a date and a goal as it tries to grow on the world stage.
Commissioner Don Garber wants MLS to be considered among the planet's top soccer leagues by 2022.
Garber announced Wednesday an outline for what he believes it will take for MLS to be recognized among the world's elite soccer leagues, one that calls for major capital investment in player development — including youth programs, training for coaches and infrastructure improvements at training facilities.
UVU HIRES FORMER RSL YOUTH COACH: Utah Valley University announced the hiring of Greg Maas as the first-ever head coach of Wolverine men's soccer on Wednesday.
The men's soccer program will start play in the 2014 fall season.
Maas has served as the Technical Director for the Utah Youth Soccer Association and as head coach of the Real Salt Lake Utah U-17 team.
74 PUNISHED FOR MATCH FIXING: FIFA has banned 74 more officials and players from world soccer for helping fix matches, this time in Italy and South Korea.
FIFA says it imposed sanctions on 70 people, including 11 who were banned for life, after a series of cases prosecuted by Italian soccer authorities.
FIFA says the charges involved "match-fixing (direct involvement or omission to report match-fixing), illegal betting or corrupt organization (association to commit illicit acts)."
Prosecutors in Cremona, Bari and Napoli have pieced together a conspiracy they believe was organized from Singapore to bet on rigged Italian soccer games.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14