Tom Smart, Tom Smart, Deseret News
The massive news coverage of John Swallow's alleged improprieties illustrates the liberal media's biased coverage of conservative politicians. For example, consider the 39 days of front page coverage the New York Times gave the Abu Ghraib prisoner humiliation vs. the minimization of the Obama administration's negligence and cover-up of the murder of four Americans, including Ambassador Stevens, in Benghazi.
Another is Obama's "corpse" men speech, where he repeatedly mispronounced the military term "corp," which was virtually ignored by the media. Contrast this with Sen. Marco Rubio's drink of water which was endlessly replayed on network and cable news.
Swallow's activities are very mild in the spectrum of daily behind-the-scenes political dealings, but he was fingered because of his aggressive defense of Utah's public lands. The political environmentalists and their partners in the media couldn't let him get away with that.
If the media is going to do some political witch-hunting, it should do so on an equal opportunity basis — there is plenty to go around.
Salt Lake City
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 102
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 81
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 62
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 35