Pope Benedict XVI recalls 'joy,' difficulties in final audience (+videos)
Many of the cardinals who will choose Benedict's successor were in St. Peter's Square for his final audience. Those included retired Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony, the object of a grass-roots campaign in the U.S. to persuade him to recuse himself for having covered up for sexually abusive priests. Mahony has said he will be among the 115 cardinals voting for the next pope.
"God bless you," Mahony said when asked by television crews about the campaign.
Also in attendance Wednesday were cardinals over 80, who can't participate in the conclave but will participate in meetings next week to discuss the problems facing the church and the qualities needed in a new pope.
"I am joining the entire church in praying that the cardinal electors will have the help of the Holy Spirit," Spanish Cardinal Julian Herranz, 82, said.
Herranz has been authorized by the pope to brief voting-age cardinals on his investigation into the leaks of papal documents that exposed corruption in the Vatican administration.
Vatican officials say cardinals will begin meeting Monday to decide when to set the date for the conclave.
But the rank-and-file faithful in the crowd weren't so concerned with the future; they wanted to savor the final moments with the pope they have known for years.
"I came to thank him for the testimony that he has given the church," said Maria Cristina Chiarini, a 52-year-old homemaker who traveled by train from Lugo in central Italy with about 60 members of her parish. "There's nostalgia, human nostalgia, but also comfort, because as Christians we have hope. The Lord won't leave us without a guide."
Follow Nicole Winfield at www.twitter.com/nwinfield
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Obama signed a new order that protects gay...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 69
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 55
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 51
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Obama signed a new order that protects... 33
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 26
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 21
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15