Peter Kramer, Associated Press
Our take: Yahoo recently announced a decision to stop letting employees work from home. Rachel Emma Silverman and Quentin Fottrell from MarketWatch write about how working from home could negatively affect someone's career.
"The outcry surrounding a decision by Yahoo Inc. — led by new Chief Executive Marissa Mayer — to end work-from-home arrangements has shown just how strongly many companies and employees have embraced remote work, but it also underscores tensions between workers' need for flexibility and their need for visibility. Companies tout working from home as a benefit that helps recruit and retain talent over the long term, but workers may be missing out on the personal contacts that get them promoted.
"Cliches about the water-cooler aside, many managers say having workers in the office makes sense, given greater emphasis on collaboration and group projects. And despite studies showing that home-based workers may be more productive than their cubicle-bound peers, remote workers must also combat the perceptions among managers and colleagues that they're not spending the day goofing off.
"At S&T Bank, based in Indiana, Pa., managers are experimenting with work-from-home arrangements for some employees, though it hasn't been easy, said Becky Stapleton, S&T's director of human resources.
"Sometimes when people are working remotely, 'you wonder if employees are being as productive as they could,' said Stapleton. 'Or, are they being more productive? As a manager, you have to be actively engaged in their work.'"
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- As times get better can you keep a leash on...
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of the...
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey on trust
- Millennials relying on prepaid cards and...
- Want a better return on your college...
- Got weeds? Hire a goat
- Utah high school students receive engineering...
- Want a better return on your college... 17
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey... 10
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of... 6
- Got weeds? Hire a goat 2
- Private school in Texas gives students... 2
- Highly efficient 'passive homes' gain... 1
- Secret to Prism program: It's just one... 1