Peter Kramer, Associated Press
Our take: Yahoo recently announced a decision to stop letting employees work from home. Rachel Emma Silverman and Quentin Fottrell from MarketWatch write about how working from home could negatively affect someone's career.
"The outcry surrounding a decision by Yahoo Inc. — led by new Chief Executive Marissa Mayer — to end work-from-home arrangements has shown just how strongly many companies and employees have embraced remote work, but it also underscores tensions between workers' need for flexibility and their need for visibility. Companies tout working from home as a benefit that helps recruit and retain talent over the long term, but workers may be missing out on the personal contacts that get them promoted.
"Cliches about the water-cooler aside, many managers say having workers in the office makes sense, given greater emphasis on collaboration and group projects. And despite studies showing that home-based workers may be more productive than their cubicle-bound peers, remote workers must also combat the perceptions among managers and colleagues that they're not spending the day goofing off.
"At S&T Bank, based in Indiana, Pa., managers are experimenting with work-from-home arrangements for some employees, though it hasn't been easy, said Becky Stapleton, S&T's director of human resources.
"Sometimes when people are working remotely, 'you wonder if employees are being as productive as they could,' said Stapleton. 'Or, are they being more productive? As a manager, you have to be actively engaged in their work.'"
- Low gas prices are great, but could be...
- Wal-Mart tests gift card exchange
- New parking lot entrance opens at Salt Lake...
- Sony broadly releases 'The Interview' in...
- Dave Ramsey says: Make the most of a...
- Sony announces limited release for 'The...
- BBC exposes inhumane working conditions in...
- Freelancing: The new way to work
- BBC exposes inhumane working conditions... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Survey finds fewer women working now... 5
- What people never mention when they... 3
- About Utah: They're best in the world 3
- California puzzles over safety of... 1
- US home sales dropped sharply in November 1
- US consumer spending up solid 0.6 pct.... 1