"I grew up wanting to go there," said the offensive tackle from Granger High, who offered Whittingham a verbal commitment for the 2014 season. "It was a dream come true."
Granger head football coach Cecil Thomas sent the U. coaching staff a DVD of highlights from the 2012 season. Coaches invited Thomas and Frison up to visit the campus Tuesday.
"His upside is very huge," said Thomas of the 6-foot-6 290 pound junior. "He ranks up there with all of the good offensive lineman that I've coached over the years."
Frison said he talked with coaches about football and his academic hopes, and then they gave him a tour of the facilities. When the offer was made, Frison immediately accepted.
"We shook hands," Frison said. "There was no hesitation because I already knew what I wanted."
Added Thomas, "Afterward, he was all smiles."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 51
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 11
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8