OGDEN — When the Utah Jazz hired a new General Manager, the Olympus Titans got a new shooting guard.
Jake Lindsey, a 6-foot-5 sophomore, started for the Titans this season after moving to town from San Antonio last fall when Dennis Lindsey took a job with the Jazz.
"Jake's been terrific," said Olympus coach Matt Barnes. "That's a hard situation: you move your sophomore year, going from Texas and was a player on his varsity team and then starting all over new."
Lindsey scored nine points and had three rebounds, a turnover, an assist, and a block in the Titans' 50-43 victory over Woods Cross in the first round of the 4A state tournament at the Dee Events Center Monday evening. He has averaged almost 12 points and three rebounds per game this season.
"I had no idea (what to expect)," Barnes said. "I saw him play in open gym a couple of times and thought, 'oh, he's pretty good.'"
Although it is tough to enter a new school and team, Barnes said the Titans have been very inviting.
"Give my kids a lot credit," he said. "Coulson Hardy moved from California the year before, and he's taken him under his wing a little bit and been very good to him."
He added that not only has Lindsey filled a roster spot, but has filled a need on the floor as well.
"He's just got that tough side to him, that competitive side, and he's been a huge asset to us," Barnes said. "He's given us that missing ingredient we needed with someone who could attack the basket strong on the guard line. He's been a special kid, and the great thing is he's only a sophomore."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16