OGDEN — When the Utah Jazz hired a new General Manager, the Olympus Titans got a new shooting guard.
Jake Lindsey, a 6-foot-5 sophomore, started for the Titans this season after moving to town from San Antonio last fall when Dennis Lindsey took a job with the Jazz.
"Jake's been terrific," said Olympus coach Matt Barnes. "That's a hard situation: you move your sophomore year, going from Texas and was a player on his varsity team and then starting all over new."
Lindsey scored nine points and had three rebounds, a turnover, an assist, and a block in the Titans' 50-43 victory over Woods Cross in the first round of the 4A state tournament at the Dee Events Center Monday evening. He has averaged almost 12 points and three rebounds per game this season.
"I had no idea (what to expect)," Barnes said. "I saw him play in open gym a couple of times and thought, 'oh, he's pretty good.'"
Although it is tough to enter a new school and team, Barnes said the Titans have been very inviting.
"Give my kids a lot credit," he said. "Coulson Hardy moved from California the year before, and he's taken him under his wing a little bit and been very good to him."
He added that not only has Lindsey filled a roster spot, but has filled a need on the floor as well.
"He's just got that tough side to him, that competitive side, and he's been a huge asset to us," Barnes said. "He's given us that missing ingredient we needed with someone who could attack the basket strong on the guard line. He's been a special kid, and the great thing is he's only a sophomore."
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- Brad Rock: Ex-Jazz players skip the drama
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 85
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 45
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24