High school boys basketball: Orem is latest cursed 4A No. 1
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Through the first two days of state tournament play at the Dee Events Center this week, there have been some great 5A and 4A games and plenty duds.
None featured more drama than Logans pulse-pounding 65-60 upset victory over No. 1 Orem in the opening round of the 4A state tournament on Tuesday.
As stunning as Logans victory was, it definitely wasnt unprecedented. In fact, it was the second time in three years the Deseret News No. 1 team in 4A heading into the state tournament was bounced in the first round.
In 2011, defending 4A state champion Timpview entered the playoffs ranked No. 1 but lost to Bountiful 58-52.
Olympus knows all about high expectations fizzling out early too, losing in the first round in 2000 and 2003 as the Deseret News No. 1-ranked team.
Interestingly enough, all four losses stunning 4A losses occurred at the Dee Events Center.
Coaches often say theyd rather not be ranked No. 1, and its easy to see why. Over the past 20 years in 4A boys basketball, the No. 1 ranked team in 4A according to the Deseret News has only won the state championship seven teams, with four of those occurring from 1995 to 1998.
No. 1 teams in 5A have a much better track record of advancing out of the first round, but only nine have gone on to win the state title in the past 19 years.
The only No. 1 team in 5A over the past 20 years to lose in the first round was Weber back in 1997, with Alta delivering the 63-61 upset at the University of Utah.
In 3A, only two No. 1s have ever been upset in the opening round Morgan in 2002 and Pine View in 1996. Eight have gone on to win the state championship, including five of the last six.
Heres a closer look at how the No. 1s at the end of the regular season in 5A, 4A and 3A fared in the state tournament over the past 20 years.
Note: Bold denotes first-round loss, * denotes state championship.
2013 — Lone Peak (TBD)
2012 — American Fork (Lost to Brighton 59-33 in quarterfinals)
* 2011 — Lone Peak (Beat American Fork 64-52 in championship)
2010 — Bingham (Lost to Fremont 71-70 (OT) in quarterfinals)
2009 — Lone Peak (Lost to West Jordan 63-52 in championship)
* 2008 — Lone Peak (Beat Bingham 67-53 in championship)
* 2007 — Lone Peak (Beat Riverton 68-43 in championship)
* 2006 — Bingham (Beat Riverton 61-59 in championship)
* 2005 — Fremont (Beat West Jordan 50-48 in championship)
2004 — Brighton (Lost to Hunter 48-46 in semifinals)
* 2003 — Alta (Beat Jordan 65-53 in championship)
2002 — Riverton (Lost to Davis 56-51 in semifinals)
2001 — Orem (Lost to West Jordan 68-65 in championship)
2000 — Bingham (Lost to Brighton 43-40 in semifinals)
* 1999 — Mountain View (Beat Bingham 62-48 in championship)
* 1998 — Mountain View (Beat Orem 73-72 in championship)
1997 — Weber (Lost to Alta 63-61 in fist round)
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school track: State meet Day 1 results
- 5A tennis: Lone Peak takes first boys tennis...
- 4A boys tennis: Timpview takes 13th title in...
- High school boys track: Final state meet results
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 4
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0