Through the first two days of state tournament play at the Dee Events Center this week, there have been some great 5A and 4A games and plenty duds.
None featured more drama than Logans pulse-pounding 65-60 upset victory over No. 1 Orem in the opening round of the 4A state tournament on Tuesday.
As stunning as Logans victory was, it definitely wasnt unprecedented. In fact, it was the second time in three years the Deseret News No. 1 team in 4A heading into the state tournament was bounced in the first round.
In 2011, defending 4A state champion Timpview entered the playoffs ranked No. 1 but lost to Bountiful 58-52.
Olympus knows all about high expectations fizzling out early too, losing in the first round in 2000 and 2003 as the Deseret News No. 1-ranked team.
Interestingly enough, all four losses stunning 4A losses occurred at the Dee Events Center.
Coaches often say theyd rather not be ranked No. 1, and its easy to see why. Over the past 20 years in 4A boys basketball, the No. 1 ranked team in 4A according to the Deseret News has only won the state championship seven teams, with four of those occurring from 1995 to 1998.
No. 1 teams in 5A have a much better track record of advancing out of the first round, but only nine have gone on to win the state title in the past 19 years.
The only No. 1 team in 5A over the past 20 years to lose in the first round was Weber back in 1997, with Alta delivering the 63-61 upset at the University of Utah.
In 3A, only two No. 1s have ever been upset in the opening round Morgan in 2002 and Pine View in 1996. Eight have gone on to win the state championship, including five of the last six.
Heres a closer look at how the No. 1s at the end of the regular season in 5A, 4A and 3A fared in the state tournament over the past 20 years.
Note: Bold denotes first-round loss, * denotes state championship.
2013 β Lone Peak (TBD)
2012 β American Fork (Lost to Brighton 59-33 in quarterfinals)
* 2011 β Lone Peak (Beat American Fork 64-52 in championship)
2010 β Bingham (Lost to Fremont 71-70 (OT) in quarterfinals)
2009 β Lone Peak (Lost to West Jordan 63-52 in championship)
* 2008 β Lone Peak (Beat Bingham 67-53 in championship)
* 2007 β Lone Peak (Beat Riverton 68-43 in championship)
* 2006 β Bingham (Beat Riverton 61-59 in championship)
* 2005 β Fremont (Beat West Jordan 50-48 in championship)
2004 β Brighton (Lost to Hunter 48-46 in semifinals)
* 2003 β Alta (Beat Jordan 65-53 in championship)
2002 β Riverton (Lost to Davis 56-51 in semifinals)
2001 β Orem (Lost to West Jordan 68-65 in championship)
2000 β Bingham (Lost to Brighton 43-40 in semifinals)
* 1999 β Mountain View (Beat Bingham 62-48 in championship)
* 1998 β Mountain View (Beat Orem 73-72 in championship)
1997 β Weber (Lost to Alta 63-61 in fist round)
1996 β Mountain View (Lost to Davis 69-63 in quartefinals)
* 1995 β Alta (Beat Layton 57-51 in championship)
1994 β Alta (Lost in quarterfinals)
2013 β Orem (Lost to Logan 65-60 in first round)
* 2012 β Orem (Beat Olympus 58-50 in championship)
2011 β Timpview (Lost to Bountiful 58-52 in first round)
2010 β Lehi (Lost to Highland 38-31 in quarterfinals)
2009 β Provo (Lost to West 56-44 in championship)
* 2008 β Provo (Beat Bountiful 45-42 in championship)
2007 β Bountiful (Lost to Olympus 29-28 in quarterfinals)
* 2006 β Highland (Beat Provo 56-45 in championship)
2005 β Olympus (Lost to Lone Peak 57-53 (OT) in semifinal)
2004 β Lone Peak (Lost to Provo 66-52 in quarterfinals)
2003 β Olympus (Lost to Roy 63-59 in first round)
2002 β Timpview (Lost to Lone Peak 76-72 (2OT) in semifinals)
2001 β Sky View (Lost to Lone Peak 61-58 in quarterfinals)
2000 β Olympus (Lost to Pleasant Grove 56-53 in first round)
1999 β Sky View (Lost to Springville 72-65 in semifinal)
* 1998 β Provo (Beat Mountain Crest in championship)
* 1997 β Provo (Beat East in championship)
* 1996 β Murray (Beat East 72-71 (2OT) in championship)
* 1995 β Provo (Beat Murray 72-59 in championship)
1994 β Olympus (Lost to Sky View 76-64 in championship)
* 2013 β Morgan (Beat Bear River 58-44 in championship)
2012 β Desert Hills (Lost to Hurricane 52-49 in championship)
* 2011 β Wasatch (Beat Morgan 44-33 in championship)
* 2010 β Wasatch (Beat Judge 45-24 in championship)
* 2009 β Bear River (Beat Logan 59-49 in championship)
* 2008 β Judge (Beat Wasatch 77-65 in championship)
2007 β Judge (Lost to Pine View 53-43 in semifinals)
* 2006 β Judge (Beat Tooele 40-29 in championship)
2005 β Morgan (Lost to Wasatch 51-45 in semifinals)
2004 β Lehi (Lost to Wasatch 42-34 in championship)
2003 β Pine View (Lost to Judge 45-43 in semifinals)Comment on this story
2002 β Morgan (Lost to Union 88-84 (2OT) in first round)
2001 β Morgan (Lost to Pine View 74-64 in championship)
2000 β Emery (Lost to Bear River in semifinals)
1999 β Bear River (Lost to Canyon View 65-57 in championship)
* 1998 β Lehi (Beat Emery 60-51 in championship)
* 1997 β Lehi (Beat Cedar 54-45 in championship)
1996 β Pine View (Lost to Richfield 63-51 in first round)
1995 β Emery (Lost in semifinals)
1994 β Dixie (Lost to Cedar 61-48 in quarterfinals)