In his remarks following the State of the Union address, Sen. Marco Rubio made some outright lies, perhaps the most egregious of which was his assertion that government caused the housing bubble. There is some slight truth to this in that the Fed's soft money policy fed the bubble and government policy favored home ownership (as have all administrations since FDR).
But mostly, the housing bubble was created by years of flat wages, feeding soaring corporate profits which landed in banks so massively that the banks needed to do something with them, especially pushing mortgage loans on people who could not afford them, including increasingly nonstandard mortgages. Rubio's remarks were less a Republican response, and more the first speech of a campaign for the presidency, stroking the right wing base.
Lew E. Jeppson
North Salt Lake
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 44
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 33
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 23