The 1834 Camp of Israel, later known as Zion's Camp, passed through and camped near Springfield, Ill., on the evening of May 30.
Local researchers note that the Prophet and his division set up camp on Spring Creek west of Springfield. These researchers constitute a small organization known as the Zion's Camp Illinois Trail Committee and have spent years researching the Zion's Camp story and sites. Although the formal training of some of these researchers is in the medical field, they are individuals who meticulously seek out and utilize all available sources of learning, both published and on site.
The committee has gone to great lengths to honor the members of Zion's Camp with interpretive signage and monuments strategically placed in the area.
The sites seen here were identified and shared by Drs. Eldon Barrowes and Mark Greene of Jacksonville, Ill.
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online database...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Choosing to act
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan shares...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 35
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 12
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- New Harmony: Reading the pope's words... 6
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5