Getting ready for Tax Day
There are many options for preparing to file your taxes
Volunteers can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other convenient locations. For more information, visit www.irs.gov/Individuals/Find-a-Location-for-Free-Tax-Prep.
The TCE Program offers free tax help to people who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement issues unique to seniors. IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.
In addition to traditional face-to-face tax preparation, the IRS is offering a self-assistance service at many VITA and TCE locations. If individuals have a simple tax return and need a little help or do not have access to a computer, they can visit one of the participating tax preparation sites and a volunteer will guide them through the process.
For help or information on tax assistance in Utah, dial 211 or visit .www.utahtaxhelp.org/.
Taxpayers can also visit irs.gov or dial 1-800-829-1040 (individuals) or 1-800-829-4933 (businesses).
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs and...
- What do the new jobs numbers mean?
- Most US workers unprepared to meet retirement...
- Insurance agents feeling left out of "Obamacare"
- The shift away from driving continues
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop to...
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care of mom...
- Black Friday's biggest sellers
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 8
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs... 3
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can... 2
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement 2