Halle Berry introduced a tribute to the Bond franchise, in which she has co-starred, as the British super-spy celebrated his 50th anniversary on the big-screen last year with the latest adventure "Skyfall." Shirley Bassey sang her theme song to the 1960s Bond tale "Goldfinger." Later, pop star Adele performed her theme tune from "Skyfall," which won the best-song Oscar.
Barbra Streisand injected some musical sentiment into the show's segment memorializing Hollywood figures who died in the past year as she sang "The Way We Were," the Oscar-winning song she did in the film of the same name.
A salute to the resurgence of movie musicals in the last decade included Oscar winners Zeta-Jones singing "All That Jazz" from "Chicago" and Hudson doing "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from "Dreamgirls." Hathaway and Jackman joined cast mates of best-picture contender "Les Miserables" to sing songs from their musical.
Academy officials said all performances were sung live.
Fans had pondered how far MacFarlane the impudent creator of "Family Guy," might push the normally prim and proper Oscars. MacFarlane was generally polite and respectful, showcasing his charm, wit and vocal gifts.
MacFarlane did press his luck a bit on an Abraham Lincoln joke, noting that Raymond Massey preceded "Lincoln" star Daniel Day-Lewis as an Oscar nominee for 1940's "Abe Lincoln in Illinois."
"I would argue that the actor who really got inside Lincoln's head was John Wilkes Booth," MacFarlane wisecracked, earning some groans from the crowd. "A hundred and 50 years later, and it's still too soon?"
AP writers Christy Lemire, Sandy Cohen, Beth Harris and Anthony McCartney contributed to this report.
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Fire chief says search almost complete in...
- Journalists criticize Obama administration,...
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of high...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say how...
- World War II munitions with mustard agent...
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of same-sex...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Journalists criticize Obama... 37
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 16
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 16