Weber State's Rahe is college basketball's hidden gem
Randy Rahe has won two-thirds of his games as coach of the Wildcats
Five consecutive years, Rahe's teams have lost in the conference tournament, twice on their home court as the top-seed. In 2010, WSU relinquished a 20-point halftime lead to fourth-seeded Montana in its 66-65 defeat.
"That was easily the toughest loss we've had since we've been here," Rahe said, noting he occasionally flashes back. "We've moved beyond it, but I'll never forget that game for as long as I live.
"We screwed up," Rahe continued. "We were in position and didn't get it done and sometimes you have a helluva season and you don't win the right game. We're hungry to get back. It's what motivates us. We're going to get back over the hump — it's going to come."
Returning to the NCAA tournament would only intensify his legitimacy as one of the premier mid-major coaching candidates. Albeit, even now, speculation of larger programs luring Rahe from Weber is a perpetual concern despite his 2010 contract extension that stretches to 2017.
But for Rahe, his wife Laura and his two sons — Luke and Kade — Ogden is home. Reminiscent of his Iowa upbringing, it's deeply instilled within his heart.
"When Weber State hired me, they took a chance on me. I've always felt a great deal of loyalty," Rahe said. "If something ever did happen it would have to be something pretty special, and I haven't found anything — and I'm not looking. My family and I love Ogden. The people here have been tremendous. I really appreciate where I'm at. I feel like I have one of the best jobs in the country.
"Never say never. But, right now, I love where I'm at."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @tphibbsami
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45