Star Lotulelei sidelined by heart condition at combine
Our take: The news from the NFL scouting combine Sunday was not good for a Utah talent. Star Lotulelei, who played at Bingham High School, Snow College and the University of Utah, learned he has a heart condition, after taking a physical. Lotulelei starred for the Utes this past season, making six All-America teams while recording 42 tackles and five sacks, helping to set him up as an expected high first-round NFL Draft pick. According to The NFL Network, Lotulelei will under further tests in Salt Lake City.
Utah's Star Lotulelei, ranked by NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock as the No. 2 defensive tackle prospect, has been regarded as a lead-pipe lock to go off the board in the top-10 picks of the 2013 NFL Draft.
That could change after his NFL scouting combine physical. Lotulelei's agent, Bruce Tollner, told NFL.com's Akbar Gbaja-Biamila on Sunday that the player will not take part in combine drills in Indianapolis after an echocardiogram detected a heart condition.
Tollner said Lotulelei was asked to not participate in workouts until after being able to consult with a specialist. Lotulelei plans to see a specialist later this week and will continue to interview with NFL teams at the combine. Lotulelei anticipates taking part in every test at Utah's pro day March 20, Tollner said.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37