Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Video: Brandon Davies busts a move in...
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late father...
- German center Tibor Pleiss in town to talk...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Rose: BYU's Collinsworth focused on improving...
- Peavler: Why we can't stop talking... 59
- Morning links: BYU the best option for... 52
- Dick Harmon: Mendenhall opens up about... 49
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 44
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 24
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17