Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- Red and blue recruits: A first look at...
- Tyler Haws' NBA dream path takes a detour to...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- BYU football notebook: Mendenhall encouraged...
- Prized Ute transfer Cory Butler-Byrd object...
- AP preseason top 25 poll: Utah, BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 37
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 35
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 30
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 23
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 23
- Utah Jazz: Withey, 7-footer with two... 22