Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 85
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 56
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 49
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24