Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 13
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12