Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45