Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- The Pit is no place anyone wants to be, yet...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utahns in baseball: Utah alum C.J. Cron...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 48
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 15