Sports briefs: Real Salt Lake drops Desert Diamond Cup Final to Seattle; Utah Grizzlies win
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
RSL Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final
TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake dropped the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final on Saturday night, conceding a second-half goal to fall to Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Saturday's game was RSL's final preseason contest. The Claret-and-Cobalt will return to Utah today to begin preparations for its March 3 MLS regular season opener at defending Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes.
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis ran out his first-choice lineup against a reserve-laden Sounders FC side, which played its starters on Friday in a friendly against Mexican side Veracruz.
Grizzlies, eagles split weekend games
LOVELAND, Colo. — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-0 Saturday evening in a battle of two short-handed teams.
Each team finished the night with 13 skaters as Utah's Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong didn't return for the start of the second period.
The Grizzlies defeated the Eagles 3-2 in overtime on Friday night.
— Deseret News staff reports
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the tournament?;...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 82
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 42
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31