KAHUKU, Hawaii — BYU's men's golf team put together a complete team effort to shoot a two-over par 290 and jump to second place during round two of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Thursday.
Senior Zac Blair continued his strong play, converting four birdies and shooting a second-round 70. After two rounds, Blair is tied for third place at two-under-par, five strokes behind first-place Joel Stalter of California.
The Cougars currently stand seven strokes ahead of third place Texas A&M (+13) and trail No. 1 California by 16 strokes heading into today's final round. California posted an impressive six-under-par 282 during Thursday's second round and sit at 10-under-par on the tournament.
UTAH GOLF: At Kahuku, Hawaii, the Utes are in 15th place after the second day of play at the John Burns Intercollegiate at the Palmer Golf Course at Turtle Bay Resort. Sophomore Brandon Kida was the low Ute for the second straight day, shooting a five-over 77.
BYU SWIMMING: At Los Angeles, the men's 200 freestyle relay team consisting of Jordan Fletcher, Payton Sorenson, Garret Beaman and Brent Murray set an MPSF meet record and a school record with their time of 1:18.30 on day two of the MPSF Championships in Los Angeles.
BYU's foursome of Alexandria Sorensen, Taryn Toolson Lewis, Kimberly Welch Doroghian and Andrea Grant finished in second place on the women's side in the same event with a time of 1:31.97.
BYU SOFTBALL: At Cathedral City, Calif., the Cougars lost both games in their opening-day play of the Mary Nutter Classic after a grand slam in the top of the seventh lifted No. 11 LSU over BYU 10-6 and an error propelled Oklahoma State to a 3-2 victory over the Cougars on Thursday in Palm Springs.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE MEN'S BASKETBALL: At Rangely, Colo., the No. 7-ranked Bruins (25-3, 13-1 SWAC) clinched their first outright Scenic West Athletic Conference regular-season championship since 2001 by defeating Colorado Northwestern CC 100-73 on Thursday. The Bruins out-rebounded the Spartans 38-25 and had five players score in double figures in the road victory.
WESTMINSTER MEN'S BASKETBALL: At Helena, Mont., the Griffins picked up an important 74-63 win over Carroll (Mont.) on Thursday night in Frontier Conference action.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE BASEBALL: At Henderson, Nev., the No. 17-ranked Bruins (6-5, 0-1 SWAC) lost their conference opener to the College of Southern Nevada 9-2 on Thursday.
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Special teams makes big plays as Utah State...
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Live blog: Utah opens year with victory over...
- Nebraska looking to set tone of Mike Riley...
- Utah Utes report card: Harbaugh, Michigan...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 107
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 72
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 43
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 35
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29