The pope's resignation was a very courageous and selfless act. He showed us that the office is more important than the office holder. His resignation raises the question of whether or not there should be lifetime callings. Some judges, justices, kings, queens and religious leaders currently hold lifetime callings. I would side with those who say we should not have any automatic lifetime callings. The office trumps the office holder. I thank the pope for showing the way.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 38
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 28
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23