The pope's resignation was a very courageous and selfless act. He showed us that the office is more important than the office holder. His resignation raises the question of whether or not there should be lifetime callings. Some judges, justices, kings, queens and religious leaders currently hold lifetime callings. I would side with those who say we should not have any automatic lifetime callings. The office trumps the office holder. I thank the pope for showing the way.
Salt Lake City
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- Michael Erickson: Stop America's later-term...
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's new version of...
- Letter: Fall of America
- Letter: Congress surrendered
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day