Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- NYT Opinion: Embracing evangelical...
- Jay Evensen: Why the pioneers give us hope today
- George F. Will: GOP minds are at sea —...
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding Melania...
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the heavy...
- In our opinion: An unsatisfying resolution to...
- Letter: Lead on Social Security
- Letter: Delegates are dividing
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding... 40
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Letter: Delegates are dividing 23
- Letter: Let feds take over 23
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- Letter: Lead on Social Security 20
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the... 18