Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 33
- Letter: Society puzzles 32
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 31