Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in religious...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do we care?
- Letter: Could Draper shine, too?
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 27
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 21
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21