Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22