Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 109
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 35
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30