Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Letter: Federal law violated
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Things are...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- My view: Religious freedom is a barometer for...
- Drew Clark: About-face by Apple Music shows...
- Letter: ‘Correct’ beliefs
- In our opinion: To aid the 60 million global...
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- Letter: Religion in office 35
- Letter: ‘Correct’ beliefs 32
- Letter: Federal law violated 32
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 28
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 28
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 27
- My view: Everything you think you know... 22