Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 79
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 68
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 39
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 39
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 31
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 31