Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- In our opinion: Internet sales tax should...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- My view: Mayor Biskupski deserves to build...
- In our opinion: National security and... 74
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 52
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 28
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 26
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17