Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- In our opinion: National security and... 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 15
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10