Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of bullying
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Letter: Amnesty for who?
- In our opinion: FDA must consider regulating...
- Brad Stine: Words created everything, so we...
- Letter: Medicare Advantage costs
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 43
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 41
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of... 27
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term... 26