Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's foreign...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- In our opinion: Looking upward, seeking...
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- Letter: End daylight saving time
- Robert Bennett: Compromise will morph into...
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC
- Doug Robinson: Reuniting families — One...
- Charles Krauthammer: The president's... 56
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 34
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 34
- Letter: End daylight saving time 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 30
- Letter: A 'dying' document 27
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in... 26
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21