Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Republicans and Democrats agree, in part, on...
- Everything you need to know about the...
- In our opinion: To be vigilant, relentless?
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 82
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 58
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 49
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37
- Letter: Protected lands 36