Chuck Burton, Associated Press
We need to raise the minimum wage because a low minimum wage is effectively welfare for corporations. When profitable companies pay wages that people can't live on, the taxpayers often have to make up the difference. For example, in many states the largest group of Medicare and food stamp recipients are Wal-Mart employees. And who pays for this Medicare and food stamps? It's paid for by taxpayers like me.
So I say it is time to raise the minimum wage to at least $9 an hour because why should I pay taxes to subsidize corporate America? At a time when the stock market is back to records highs and corporate profits are through the roof, why should I pay taxes to support greedy companies who should be paying workers a living wage?
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 112
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 73
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 62
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 50
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 47
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 34
- The complicated political views of... 33