Jamaican church ready to pay property taxes
Weekly offering off the table, says church head
Gregory Bull, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Out take: It's common for governments to hike taxes and fees to raise revenue. But have you heard of tax-exempt organizations offering to help out by paying taxes? That's what is happening in Jamaica where the powerful Jamaica Umbrella Groups of Churches said it would be willing to pay property taxes as long as the government undergo cost cutting measures, as well. Imposing a tax on offerings from church members is off the table, however.
The Jamaican church said yesterday it would have no problem paying property taxes, if the Government asked it to pay up, as part of measures preparatory to an International Monetary Fund (IMF) pact.
"Whatever tax the Government feels that is reasonable for us to pay, we'll pay it," said Rev Rennard White, chairman of the powerful Jamaica Umbrella Groups of Churches (JUGC), which represents the large majority of Jamaican Christians.
In an interview with the Jamaica Observer, White said: "We should pay our fair share like everybody else, and if the Government decides to ask us to pay taxes on property that church buildings are on then so be it."
Currently, respective churches pay tax on all other properties. Yesterday, White was unable to give specific figures, but said that the church's real estate holding is "substantial" especially those of the Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, and Seventh-day Adventist denominations.
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- New BYU-Idaho president: Clark G. Gilbert to...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 87
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 42
- See why this woman's decision not to... 41
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 31
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 18
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford... 9