MOSCOW — Zooming around in a Rolls Royce and boasting of ties to Chechnya's strongman ruler, Mikhail Pakhomov didn't live the life of the average provincial Russian lawmaker. He didn't die the death of one either.
Pakhomov, 37, a councilman from the industrial city of Lipetsk, 215 miles south of Moscow, was found beaten to a pulp at the bottom of a barrel of cement Monday after what investigators say was a business deal gone wrong — and a kidnapping that went even worse.
Evgeny Kharitonov, a former senior official in the Moscow regional government, was arrested at a Moscow airport Monday and charged with organizing Pakhomov's kidnapping over an $80 million debt. A warrant was issued Tuesday for his business partner, Sergei Krasovsky. Four other men are charged with the murder-kidnapping.
The son of a well-known Lipetsk theatrical couple, Pakhomov ran Liter, a construction and transport company. After a failed attempt in 2011 to win election to Russia's parliament as a candidate of the Kremlin-backed United Russia, he became a city councilman last October.
Police accused Kharitonov and Krasovsky of turning to unemployed men from the Moscow region to carry out the kidnapping, which took place last week when Pakhomov was bundled into a car as he left a restaurant.
When Pakhomov resisted, the men hit his head against the car door so hard that he eventually bled to death, local media reported. One of the suspects told police that Kharitonov said he had to recover the $80 million debt to advance his career.
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Vonn says relationship with Woods is over
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 30
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 17
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- More Americans spending at least half... 13
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9