The prosecutor disagreed.
"It is our respectful argument that 'pre-planning' or premeditation do not require months of planning," Nel said. "If ... I ready myself and walk a distance with the intention to kill someone, it is premeditated."
Hundreds of miles from the Magistrate's Court, a memorial service was held for Steenkamp in the south coast city of Port Elizabeth. Six pallbearers carried her coffin, draped with a white cloth and covered in white flowers, into the church for the private service and cremation.
Relatives recalled how the model with a law degree had campaigned against domestic violence and had planned to don black for a "Black Friday" protest in honor of a 17-year-old girl who was recently gang-raped and mutilated.
What "she stood for, and the abuse against women, unfortunately it's gone right around, and I think the Lord knows that statement is more powerful now," said her uncle, Mike Steenkamp.
South Africa has some of the world's worst rates of violence against women and the highest rate in the world of women killed by an intimate partner, according to a study by the Medical Research Council, which said at least three women are killed by a partner every day in the country of 50 million.
Since the shooting, several of Pistorius' sponsors have dropped him. On Tuesday, Clarins Group, which owns Thierry Mugler Perfumes, said it would withdraw all advertising featuring the Olympian. A cologne line with the company, called A(asterisk)Men, bears his image.
Associated Press writer Michelle Faul in Johannesburg and AP photographer Schalk van Zuydam in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, contributed to this report.
- Target: 40 million card accounts may be breached
- Spending habits of families receiving public...
- Geographers map out the seven deadly sins
- Dear Santa: Funny and touching Christmas...
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after...
- New Mexico legalizes same-sex marriage
- Wage gap between men and women almost closed...
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay... 139
- New Mexico legalizes same-sex marriage 41
- Pennsylvania pastor defrocked after... 34
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 30
- Spending habits of families receiving... 30
- United Methodist minister won't quit... 24
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 22
- Associated Press survey: United States... 21