Amanda Lucier, Associated Press
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A Virginia Beach pizza shop owner is showing his support for firearm rights by giving gun owners a 15 percent discount.
The discount is given to anyone who carries a gun or brings a concealed handgun permit to All Around Pizzas and Deli.
Owner Jay Laze tells media outlets that he had planned on offering the discount for a limited time. But he said the discount might become permanent because of the response.
Since the discount began last Friday, Laze said 80 percent of his customers have brought guns into the pizza shop, including one who came in with an AK-47. Several others carried 9 mm handguns.
Laze said he bought a gun after he was robbed at gunpoint outside his business in April 2007.
"I've always been a supporter of the right to carry," he said. "You're either on one side or the other, and it seems like more politicians are against us rather than for us. I want to show them they really aren't representing the people or the constitution they are sworn in under."
He said he got the idea from a similar discount offered by an ice cream shop in Utah.
Christopher Cody said he bought pizza at Laze's restaurant because of the message, and not the discount.
"Not everyone who owns a gun is dangerous," Cody said. "All the laws that are coming out are trying to protect the children. I've been sitting here with a gun for the last 45 minutes and it hasn't caused any kind of problem."
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with hands up
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- The Los Angeles Unified School District ducks...
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Car crash in Argentina kills 3 relatives of pope
- No arrest for Texas Gov. Rick Perry but mug...
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 20
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16
- Police, protesters collide again in... 15
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but... 14
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 13