Amanda Lucier, Associated Press
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A Virginia Beach pizza shop owner is showing his support for firearm rights by giving gun owners a 15 percent discount.
The discount is given to anyone who carries a gun or brings a concealed handgun permit to All Around Pizzas and Deli.
Owner Jay Laze tells media outlets that he had planned on offering the discount for a limited time. But he said the discount might become permanent because of the response.
Since the discount began last Friday, Laze said 80 percent of his customers have brought guns into the pizza shop, including one who came in with an AK-47. Several others carried 9 mm handguns.
Laze said he bought a gun after he was robbed at gunpoint outside his business in April 2007.
"I've always been a supporter of the right to carry," he said. "You're either on one side or the other, and it seems like more politicians are against us rather than for us. I want to show them they really aren't representing the people or the constitution they are sworn in under."
He said he got the idea from a similar discount offered by an ice cream shop in Utah.
Christopher Cody said he bought pizza at Laze's restaurant because of the message, and not the discount.
"Not everyone who owns a gun is dangerous," Cody said. "All the laws that are coming out are trying to protect the children. I've been sitting here with a gun for the last 45 minutes and it hasn't caused any kind of problem."
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 14
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14