Dave Martin, Associated Press
Our take: Relieved passengers returned to shore last week after spending five days stranded in a cruise ship and received a refund plus $500 compensation. Brad Tuttle from TIME writes about whether $500 is enough to cover what the passengers had to endure.
"So you've survived for five days stranded at sea aboard the Carnival Triumph. The ship had no working toilets, sewage dripped from walls, and the whole place smelled 'like a hot port-o-potty.' Here's $500 for your troubles.
"Last week, after the Triumph was finally tugged into Alabama and passengers kissed solid ground in relief, Carnival announced that all passengers on the ship — which was hit with a fire in an engine room and left without power in the Gulf of Mexico — would receive some compensation. The offer included a full refund for the cruise and travel expenses, reimbursement for nearly everything they spent on board the ship, a credit good toward a future cruise, plus a check for $500.
"To some, the offer didn't exactly seem generous. 'I would have expected more really,' said travel expert George Hobica, who runs the deal-finding site AirfareWatchdog.com. 'I think giving them their money back and $500 is pretty cheap.'
"Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor of CruiseCritic.com, had basically the same reaction. 'What these people went through was worth more than $500,' she said. 'It's a little bit insulting. It's almost as if Carnival would have been better off offering nothing than to go so low.''"
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat in 2014
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 11
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8
- Obama declares 2014 'a breakthrough... 7