J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
I just read a short article entitled "Senators seek deal on gun purchases" (Feb. 9). I see several words that bring joy to my heart: bipartisan, compromise, moderate, NRA member. I'm thrilled that at least four senators — Chuck Schumer D-N.Y., liberal; Joe Manchin D-W.Va., moderate, NRA member; Tom Coburn R-Okla., conservative, NRA member; and Mark Kirk R-Ill., moderate — are willing to sit down and try to successfully arrive at some form of sensible legislation regarding background checks for gun purchases. I applaud Manchin and Coburn — one Democrat, one GOP — for their courage in bucking NRA leadership and certainly wish them luck. I wonder, is their membership on the line?
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- In our opinion: With caucus compromise, Utah...
- John Florez: Education — Big government...
- Letter: A 'dying' document
- In our opinion: Prison relocation iffy
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 67
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 53
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 30
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 30
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21