J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
I just read a short article entitled "Senators seek deal on gun purchases" (Feb. 9). I see several words that bring joy to my heart: bipartisan, compromise, moderate, NRA member. I'm thrilled that at least four senators — Chuck Schumer D-N.Y., liberal; Joe Manchin D-W.Va., moderate, NRA member; Tom Coburn R-Okla., conservative, NRA member; and Mark Kirk R-Ill., moderate — are willing to sit down and try to successfully arrive at some form of sensible legislation regarding background checks for gun purchases. I applaud Manchin and Coburn — one Democrat, one GOP — for their courage in bucking NRA leadership and certainly wish them luck. I wonder, is their membership on the line?
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:...
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win in 2014
- In our opinion: On matters of panhandling or...
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Will Putin's gamble...
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- Letter: Putin's invasion
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 36
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 34
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30
- Letter: Private political parties 24