J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
I just read a short article entitled "Senators seek deal on gun purchases" (Feb. 9). I see several words that bring joy to my heart: bipartisan, compromise, moderate, NRA member. I'm thrilled that at least four senators — Chuck Schumer D-N.Y., liberal; Joe Manchin D-W.Va., moderate, NRA member; Tom Coburn R-Okla., conservative, NRA member; and Mark Kirk R-Ill., moderate — are willing to sit down and try to successfully arrive at some form of sensible legislation regarding background checks for gun purchases. I applaud Manchin and Coburn — one Democrat, one GOP — for their courage in bucking NRA leadership and certainly wish them luck. I wonder, is their membership on the line?
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 44
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 33
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 23