J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
I just read a short article entitled "Senators seek deal on gun purchases" (Feb. 9). I see several words that bring joy to my heart: bipartisan, compromise, moderate, NRA member. I'm thrilled that at least four senators — Chuck Schumer D-N.Y., liberal; Joe Manchin D-W.Va., moderate, NRA member; Tom Coburn R-Okla., conservative, NRA member; and Mark Kirk R-Ill., moderate — are willing to sit down and try to successfully arrive at some form of sensible legislation regarding background checks for gun purchases. I applaud Manchin and Coburn — one Democrat, one GOP — for their courage in bucking NRA leadership and certainly wish them luck. I wonder, is their membership on the line?
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration...
- Letter: Acting on immigration
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- My view: Remembering JFK 51 years later
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Hospitality...
- In our opinion: Thankfully speaking —...
- Greg Bell: It's time to raise the gas tax
- In our opinion: 70 mph — driving at the...
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 66
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 53
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 45
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 40
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- Letter: Acting on immigration 39
- My view: Global warming needs free market 26