J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
I just read a short article entitled "Senators seek deal on gun purchases" (Feb. 9). I see several words that bring joy to my heart: bipartisan, compromise, moderate, NRA member. I'm thrilled that at least four senators — Chuck Schumer D-N.Y., liberal; Joe Manchin D-W.Va., moderate, NRA member; Tom Coburn R-Okla., conservative, NRA member; and Mark Kirk R-Ill., moderate — are willing to sit down and try to successfully arrive at some form of sensible legislation regarding background checks for gun purchases. I applaud Manchin and Coburn — one Democrat, one GOP — for their courage in bucking NRA leadership and certainly wish them luck. I wonder, is their membership on the line?
- Disputes over specialized license plates...
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- My view: Chaffetz named ‘politician of...
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change...
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the family put...
- In our opinion: Water, a precious commodity
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas tax?...
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws of war
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- In our opinion: Police training should... 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- In our opinion: Wood burning ban... 37
- Robert Bennett: More political... 36
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 31