J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
I just read a short article entitled "Senators seek deal on gun purchases" (Feb. 9). I see several words that bring joy to my heart: bipartisan, compromise, moderate, NRA member. I'm thrilled that at least four senators — Chuck Schumer D-N.Y., liberal; Joe Manchin D-W.Va., moderate, NRA member; Tom Coburn R-Okla., conservative, NRA member; and Mark Kirk R-Ill., moderate — are willing to sit down and try to successfully arrive at some form of sensible legislation regarding background checks for gun purchases. I applaud Manchin and Coburn — one Democrat, one GOP — for their courage in bucking NRA leadership and certainly wish them luck. I wonder, is their membership on the line?
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...
- Michael Erickson: Stop America's later-term...
- Letter: Fall of America
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day
- Letter: Congress surrendered
- John Florez: School board members must speak up