ROME — How much weight does an endorsement from a lame-duck pope carry in the upcoming election?
No, not that election — the one to pick the next leader of the Catholic church. Another key ballot is looming even closer, when Italians go to the polls this Sunday to choose a new premier. And with Italy in a solemn mood over the historic resignation of Benedict XVI, the "moral vision" of incumbent Mario Monti may get a boost to the detriment of the flamboyant, scandal-plagued Silvio Berlusconi.
Even though a large majority of Italian Catholics don't regularly attend Sunday Mass, the Vatican traditionally wields influence on politics in Italy, a country where Christian Democrats held sway for decades. Just about anything the pope does or says is big news. And Pope Benedict XVI has made no secret of his preference for Monti, a practicing Catholic, whom he greeted warmly on Saturday in one of his last private audiences with an Italian political leader.
On the other hand, the Vatican has expressed its horror over the string of sex and corruption scandals swirling around the billionaire media mogul Berlusconi. And with the dignity of the papal transition very much on Italian minds, Benedict's clear preference for Monti could be a factor in making voters think twice about backing a figure who has become synonymous with an amoral, me-first way of life.
Experts do warn: Don't expect the papal factor to sway the election. But it's clear that the candidates may be adjusting their rhetoric to the spirit of the times.
Frontrunner Pier Luigi Bersani, who as a veteran of Italy's left espouses a more secular kind of ethical vision, hammered away at the issue of "morality" at a campaign rally Sunday. While he comes from a different political tradition from the center-right Monti, the two share an emphasis on economic reform that could very well make them a good match in a future coalition government.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- #Technologyandstuff: Chevy makes the best of...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 39
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13