J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
Lighthearted observations of current events:
The National Parks Service is considering adding wireless access to national parks. In other words, the buffalo may still roam, but they will incur roaming charges.
When Jack London wrote "Call of the Wild," he probably wasn't thinking about a ring tone going off in the pocket of one of Buck's owners.
Rumor has it that Apple is working on a smart watch. With a smart phone, a smart watch and an iPad, it's no wonder America's collective IQ is dropping. Who needs a brain?
President Obama delivered his State of the Union speech last week. He said we don't need a bigger government, we need a smarter government. OK, so when is Apple going to come up with one of those?
Obama told Congress he wants to dramatically increase wind power. Well, he was talking to the right group.
The president outlined a bunch of new initiatives, then said they wouldn't cost anything. If the government needs more money, it will simply print some.
The president issued a challenge to America's homes to cut their energy waste by half. Americans watching on their recliners, with remote in hand and microwaved dinner within reaching distance, thought they already were using as little energy as possible.
Obama said, "You know, in many places, people live on little more than a dollar a day." Translation: We can raise taxes a lot higher and you folks could still get by.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod
- In our opinion: Maintaining balance
- Endangered Species Act lost sight of its mission
- My view: History lesson: 'Taking back'...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 65
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 49
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Robert Bennett: Keystone: What... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 27
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 24