Schumer, a New York Democrat and a close ally to the White House, said he has not seen the draft proposals but, along with the Democrats working on a compromise, met with Obama this week to talk about progress being made on Capitol Hill. Schumer acknowledged that a single-party proposal would have a much more difficult time becoming law and urged the bipartisan group of senators to keep meeting to find common ground.
"I am very hopeful that in March we will have a bipartisan bill," Schumer said. "And, you know, it's obvious if a Democrat — the president or anyone else — puts out what they want on their own, (it) is going to be different than when you have a bipartisan agreement. But the only way we're going to get something done is with a bipartisan agreement."
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., suggested Obama's proposed plan was going nowhere but added that his party was evaluating its relationship with Hispanic voters, who supported Obama in November with 71 percent of their votes.
"I think people want a little different face on immigration, frankly," said Paul, who is also considered among the 2016 presidential hopefuls. "They don't want somebody who wants to round people up, put them in camps and send them back to Mexico."
The Associated Press, relying on a CQ Roll Call transcript that was distributed after "Fox News Sunday" and omitted the word "don't" in that quote, initially reported that Paul saw his party as in favor of such efforts to deport immigrants. The AP's subsequent review of an audio recording of the broadcast confirmed the missing word.
McDonough appeared on ABC's "This Week," NBC's "Meet the Press" and CBS' "Face the Nation." Ryan and Castro spoke to "This Week." McCain spoke to "Meet the Press." Schumer appeared on CNN's "State of the Union."
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- What is the most Hawaiian movie set in...
- No exit: For female jihadis, Syria is one-way...
- River rafters discover wreckage of aircraft...
- Administration asks skeptical judge to toss...
- Putin accuses US of meddling into FIFA affairs
- Is rent out of reach? Study shows how 11 US...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7
- $150M in bribes, dozen schemes: US... 7
- Baltimore gets bloodier as arrests drop... 7