Russian region begins recovery
Community unites to clean up from Friday's baleful meteor strike
CHELYABINSK, Russia — As a small army of people worked to replace acres of windows shattered by the enormous explosion from a meteor, many joked on Saturday about what had happened in this troubled pocket of Russia.
One of the most popular jests: Residents of the meteor were terrified to see Chelyabinsk approaching.
The fireball that streaked into the sky over this tough industrial city at about sunrise Friday was undeniably traumatic. Nearly 1,200 people were reported injured by the shockwave from the explosion, estimated to be as strong as 20 Hiroshima atomic bombs.
But it also brought a sense of cooperation in a troubled region. Large numbers of volunteers came forward to help fix the damage caused by the explosion and many residents came together on the Internet — first to find out what happened and soon to make jokes.
Chelyabinsk, nicknamed Tankograd because it produced the famed Soviet T-34 tanks, can be as grim as its backbone heavy industries. Long winters where temperatures routinely hit minus-22 degrees add to a general dour mien, as do worries about dangerous facilities in the surrounding region.
"The city is a place where people always seem bitter with each other," said music teacher Ilya Shibanov. But the meteor "was one of the rare times when people started to live together through one event."
"For most people, it's a good excuse for a joke," he said.
But for many, it's provided a reason to roll up their sleeves and get to work repairing the more than 4,000 buildings in the city and region where windows were shattered, or to provide other services.
More than 24,000 people, including volunteers, have mobilized in the region to cover windows, gather warm clothes and food, and make other relief efforts, the regional governor's office said. Crews from glass companies in adjacent regions were being flown in.
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot...
- Woman reported kidnapped found safe after...
- Royals, actor Benedict Cumberbatch help bury...
- 'Downton Abbey' to end after upcoming 6th season
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood at...
- Report: Teen says mom killed her siblings...
- Putin says Russia will stand firm in standoff...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 50
- Texas Sen. Ted Cruz targets... 44
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 36
- On 5th anniversary of health care law,... 32
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot... 26
- Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to... 19
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18
- Preparing for 2016 campaign, Hillary... 17