Tom Smart, Deseret News
Tens of millions of Americans choose to own semi-automatic firearms with ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the same reason as law enforcement officers: they are effective for self-defense. One never knows how many rounds he or she will need for self-defense or defense of others, or how many criminals may attack. Thus, having a firearm that allows its lawful user to discharge multiple shots can often be the difference between life and death. In fact, a number of studies have shown that firearms are used for self-defense hundreds of thousands of times to 2.5 million times annually. This amounts to guns being used three to five times more often for self-defense than to commit a crime.
Rather than expanding previously failed legislation that won't curb violence but will affect law-abiding gun owners, I urge you to support legislation to enhance school security and improve our nation's ailing mental health system.
I own guns, and in my 50 years I have never done any thing that would have harmed me, or more certainly anyone else. Now because law makers and the press want to vilianize an organization instead of listening to the people, I may lose this right.
Terry R. Campbell
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 44
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 43
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 32
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 22