Weeping Olympian Oscar Pistorius faces premeditated murder charge
But another ex-girlfriend, Jenna Edkins, took to Twitter to defend him.
"All I am saying is let him speak, let his side be heard without jumping to conclusions," she tweeted, offering "love and support" to the Pistorius family.
"I have dated Oscar on and off for 5 YEARS, NOT ONCE has he EVER lifted a finger to me or made me fear for my life."
At the defense request, the chief magistrate delayed a bail hearing until Tuesday for Pistorius, who was ordered held in a police holding cell, rather than transferred to prison.
In seeking a premeditated murder charge against Pistorius, prosecutors appear to be claiming they have evidence the athlete planned the killing ahead of time, said William Booth, a prominent Cape Town defense lawyer.
Such a serious charge makes it more difficult for Pistorius to successfully apply for bail, Booth said, though it could also be a challenge to get a conviction.
"It's quite difficult to prove that in a situation where there isn't a witness," the defense lawyer said. "If I just plan it in my mind and I arrive at somebody's house and there's no witnesses and I shoot the person, it's really tough for the prosecution to show that planning."
Pistorius made history at the London Olympics last year when he became the first double-amputee track athlete to compete at any games. He didn't win a medal but did make the semifinals of the 400 meters and the final of the 4X400 relay, propelling the world's best-known Paralympian to the level of an international track star and one of the world's best-known sportsmen.
AP Sports Writer Gerald Imray reported from Johannesburg. Associated Press writer Michelle Faul in Johannesburg contributed to this report.
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Utah bank confirms that Ghanaian mining...
- Costa Rican a celebrity after certified miracle
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering...
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 26
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 23
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 18
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 15
- Vegas’ water drying up 13
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Democrats eye 15 cities for 2016... 10