Yet another "commission" to study poverty in Utah ("Lawmakers to tackle the question: Can the poverty cycle be halted in Utah?" Feb. 1)? Why don't we stop studying it and do something about it? More than one prominent national leader has offered simplistic solutions to resolve the "problem" besides throwing more study and money at it. Let me paraphrase their solutions which are specifically directed at poverty causes. Their counsel:
Get married before having children. Every child deserves a responsible father and responsible mother, if possible ... they are the best role models. Stay off drugs and out of trouble with the law. Graduate from high school and obtain a marketable skill. Get a job, any job, and work hard. Employers will love it and quickly reward you. Stay close to God.
I bet that any commission will conclude that these suggestions, or variations thereof, will resolve many of our poverty challenges.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 45
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 35
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 24
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 19