TUCSON, Ariz. — Real Salt Lake drew its opening match of the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup on Wednesday night, tying the New York Red Bulls 2-2 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium in Tucson, Ariz.
RSL head coach Jason Kreis ran out a reserve-laden starting lineup, beginning the match with zero expected 2013 regulars on the field. New York took a different approach, running Designated Players Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill out in a strong first XI.
Joao Plata and Cole Grossman scored for RSL.
RED-HOT WRANGLERS CORRAL GRIZZLIES
WEST VALLEY CITY — The Las Vegas Wranglers broke up a 3-2 third-period game to beat the Utah Grizzlies 5-2 Wednesday evening at Maverik Center. Las Vegas won its eighth straight game.
— Deseret News staff and wire reports
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34