Weber State basketball: Wildcats won't show any love to Montana on Valentine's Day
OGDEN — When the college basketball schedule surfaced months ago, one date was circled.
It's only appropriate that Weber State and Montana, two bitter Big Sky kingpins with a relationship that even Cupid couldn't fix, would meet on the holiday dedicated to expressing love. The Wildcats (17-5, 12-2) have lost three straight against the Grizzlies (18-4, 14-0), and if they hope to remain in contention for the conference title, winning Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center is the only option.
"They've got a very good team, obviously, they've won a whole bunch in a row. They've got a bunch of guys that have won a whole lot of basketball games up there and they've done an outstanding job with their program," said WSU coach Randy Rahe, whose team fell to Montana 76-74 in Missoula earlier this season. "In the last three years they've been very, very good. I think these last two teams have been the best two teams they've had in school history."
Montana enters with the second longest win streak in the nation (14) and winners of 25 consecutive Big Sky games — the longest span in conference history — dating back to Jan. 14, 2012, when it fell to WSU 80-64 in Ogden.
"We know that it's going to be a big challenge," Rahe said. "We know that we're going to have to play extremely well and in a lot of areas. I do think we're capable — there's no question about it — but it's a good challenge. We're excited about it and we're going to embrace it."
A diverse trio leads Montana: guards Kareem Jamar (13.9 ppg) and Will Cherry (13.3 ppg) and forward Mathias Ward (14.8 ppg).
The two teams combined rank in the top three in the conference in 22 statistical categories. WSU has won seven of the last eight meetings against the Grizzlies at home. Weber State has won four straight games after losses against Montana State and Montana.
Wildcats on the air
Montana (18-4, 14-0) at
Weber State (17-5, 12-2)
Today, 7 p.m.
Ogden, Dee Events Center
Online video: bigskytv.org
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 83
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 36
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8