OAKDALE, Minn. — Police were still trying to determine Tuesday why a 34-year-old man randomly shot at passing vehicles in a suburban St. Paul neighborhood, wounding a female driver and killing her 9-year-old son, an aspiring astronaut whom she'd just picked up from daycare.
A witness said that the man, whom police identified Tuesday as Nhan Lap Tran of Oakdale, was nonchalantly walking down the block the night before, as if he was on a stroll, when he began firing his handgun at cars.
Devin Aryal, 9, of Oakdale was killed. His mother, Melissa Aryal, 39, was shot in the arm. A woman in another vehicle also was injured, but was expected to survive.
Police Chief Bill Sullivan said it appeared Tran legally owned the handgun used in the attack, and officials were trying to determine if something happened to trigger the shootings.
Tran was arrested without incident about a half-mile away from where the shooting started. He was in custody Tuesday on suspicion of second-degree murder and first-degree assault.
Devin's mother, Melissa Aryal, described her son as a happy-go-lucky boy who loved soccer, math and science.
"He loved life. He loved everybody," she said.
- 19 little-known facts about the Mission:...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Abortion supporters get help from federal...
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 18
- Obama administration wants to give... 15
- Abortion supporters get help from... 15
- The lie behind the idea that ‘sex... 15
- Obama to extend college Pell grants to... 12
- Sanders rallies supporters in... 11
- Clinton charity donors surge amid... 11