You recently printed a letter from Michael Robinson in which he argues for the adoption of an ethics law for Utah's attorneys ("It's time for an attorney ethics law," Feb. 8). Robinson's letter contains both inaccuracies and fabrications. Frankly, your readers deserve better.
Robinson references and quotes from the "Utah Judicial Conduct Code." The problem? There is no such thing. The Utah "Code of Judicial Conduct" is adopted by the Utah Supreme Court and governs the on-bench and off-bench behavior of Utah's judges. It does not govern the behavior of attorneys, and it does not contain the quotation ascribed by Robinson.
Robinson claims that the Utah Judicial Conduct Commission "doesn't enforce its code." To the contrary, the commission actively investigates and resolves nearly 100 complaints each year. When appropriate, the commission recommends that the Utah Supreme Court sanction judges who have behaved unethically.
Robinson claims that commission staff "admits the commission has little disciplinary power." To my knowledge, no one on the commission's staff has ever spoken with Robinson. However, it is true that the commission has no disciplinary power over attorneys. The behavior of Utah's attorneys is governed by the Rules of Professional Conduct, also adopted by the Utah Supreme Court. The Utah State Bar's Office of Professional Conduct — not the Judicial Conduct Commission — investigates and prosecutes allegations of misconduct by attorneys.
Readers who desire an accurate description of the commission's work are invited to review the commission's web site at www.jcc.utah.gov or call the commission office at 801-626-3369 and actually speak with a staff member.
Colin R. Winchester, Executive Director of Utah Judicial Conduct Commission
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans sacrifice...
- Derek B. Miller: It's my party and I'll decry...
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS
- Jay Evensen: The IOC demonstrates again why...
- Letter: Cruz took a stand
- Letter: Acting presidential
- Letter: Guns in America 58
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 49
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 47
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Letter: Acting presidential 31
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Presidential politics... 29
- My view: What message does Melania's... 25