Dorner's anger with the department dated back at least five years, when he was fired for filing a false report accusing his training officer of kicking a mentally ill suspect. Dorner, who is black, claimed in the rant that he was the subject of racism by the department and fired for doing the right thing.
He said he would get even with those who wronged him as part of his plan to reclaim his good name.
"You're going to see what a whistleblower can do when you take everything from him especially his NAME!!!" the rant said. "You have awoken a sleeping giant."
Chief Charlie Beck, who initially dismissed the allegations in the rant, said he would reopen the investigation into his firing — not to appease the ex-officer, but to restore confidence in the black community, which long had a fractured relationship with police that has improved in recent years.
One of the targets listed in the manifesto was former LAPD Capt. Randal Quan, who represented Dorner before the disciplinary board. Dorner claimed he put the interests of the department above his.
The first victims were Quan's daughter, Monica Quan, 28, a college basketball coach, and her fiance, Keith Lawrence, 27. They were shot multiple times in their car in a parking garage near their condo.
Dorner served in the Navy, earning a rifle marksman ribbon and pistol expert medal. He was assigned to a naval undersea warfare unit and various aviation training units, according to military records. He took leave from the LAPD for a six-month deployment to Bahrain in 2006 and 2007.
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 21
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 21
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13