David Whitmer, one of the Three Witnesses of the Book of Mormon, became disaffected from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints while living in Missouri in 1838. He subsequently moved to Richmond, Ray County, Mo., and spent a half century there until his passing in 1888.
After arriving in 1838 with only a team and a wagon, David eventually built a two-story home on this site. In 1878, it was destroyed by a tornado and then rebuilt.
At the time the tornado hit, the second or printer's copy of the Book of Mormon was being stored in a trunk in the home. The manuscript, mostly written in the hand of Oliver Cowdery, survived with little damage. The manuscript today is in the possession of and cared for by the Community of Christ.
Only about three lines of the entire Book of Mormon text is missing from that copy.