Bobby Wagner on the Seahawks: 'I definitely think we're a Super Bowl team'
Former Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner knows clearly what he and his Seattle Seahawks teammates are capable of following a successful 2012 season.
"I definitely think we're a Super Bowl team," Wagner told Eric Davis on an NFL Network segment called "Man 2 Man" that aired this week. "We just got to build on what we did this year. After the year we had once we put everything back and actually close out games and stuff like that, we'll be fine."
What Seattle did this year was advance to the NFC divisional round of the playoffs, where the Seahawks rallied to lead Atlanta in the final minute before falling, 30-28.
For a team whose roster is full of young talent with rookies Wagner, quarterback Russell Wilson, defensive end Bruce Irvin and running back Robert Turbin, another Utah State product, the deep playoff run should give the youngsters valuable experience.
"We just trusted one another," Wagner said of Seattle's defense, which finished the regular season No. 1 in total defense, allowing 310 yards per game. "It was my first time being on the field and a lot of guys took me under their wing and showed me the ropes."
Wagner turned that learning role into one of leadership, as he led the Seahawks with 140 tackles, including 87 solo, in the regular season. He also had three interceptions while starting 15 regular-season games.
As for his personal expectations moving forward, Wagner said, "I expect a lot more production, a lot more tackles. I'm going to have a lot better grasp of the defense than I had this year, so I'm expecting to make a lot more plays, big plays that change the game."
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Preseason viewer's guide: Locals make final...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 53
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42