MIDVALE — Three people were killed and another person was critically injured during shootings at a home near 8286 S. Adams Street (450 West).
Between 70 and 80 police officers swarmed the area Tuesday morning following the shootings that were reported at 8:06 a.m.
Details were sketchy but when officers arrived, they discovered three people had been killed inside the home. A fourth person was taken to a hospital in critical condition. All four had been shot, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Officers are searching for David Fresques, 25, in connection with the shootings. Police called him a "person of interest."
Six schools in the area — Midvale Middle School, Midvale Elementary, Sandy Elementary, East Sandy Elementary, Midvalley Elementary and Copperview Elementary — were put in lockdown as a precaution and officers were also dispatched to each school building.
"We don't know if there are other suspects out there as well or who was involved," Hoyal said.
"It's important to know that the children are safe right now," said Canyons School District spokesman Jennifer Toomer-Cook, who asked that parents not try to come pick up their students at the schools.
The school lockdowns were instituted as a precaution at the request of police.
Police officers were going door to door searching for Fresques and any information related to the crimes. Officers were also looking for a white Nissan Altima that Fresques is believed to be driving.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- Drunk driver crashes through West Valley...
- Hill Air Force Base employee killed in...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Ute Tribe sues Wasatch County over...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 118
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 90
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 29
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16