Boys Prep of the Week: William Watts, Mountain Crest, swimming
Watts took full advantage of his high school swimming finale. At the 4A state meet last weekend, he swam in five different events, helped Mountain Crest win the team title, and was named 4A Male Swimmer of the Year by the Utah Swim Coaches Association.
Mountain Crest avenged its second-place finish a year ago, winning the team title with 328 points.
"We've been looking at that (record) all season and we've been wanting to break it," Mountain Crest coach Tom Williams said after the race. Watts swam a 47.16 split as the team passed the record previously held by Skyline by 12.21 seconds.
The Mustangs completed the relay in 3:11.93, and won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:31.81. Watts swam the butterfly leg of the latter race.
In the individual events, Watts finished first in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:41.04 and in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 47.16, matching his 400 free relay split time.
Girls Prep of the Week: Amelia Draney, Desert Hills, swimming
Just a junior, this swimmer excelled at the 3A state swim meet last weekend, earning the title of 3A Female Swimmer of the Year from the Utah Swim Coaches Association and helping her team to a fourth-place overall finish with 246 points.
She anchored both the first-place 400-yard freestyle relay team, which won with a time of 3:48.22, and the second-place 200-yard freestyle relay team (1:42.65).
Draney also won two individual races. Her 200-yard freestyle victory time of 1:52.37 was 11 seconds faster than the second-place finisher and just eight one-hundredths off the 3A record she set a year ago.
"Just how everyone says, 'You've got to be better than you were yesterday.' That's what I'm out there doing," Draney said after her victory in the 500 free.
"4:56.94," she said, reciting the state record for that event. "I have it imprinted right here (in my mind)."
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 77
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 68
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 68
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 52
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21