Note to Super Bowl organizers: If you invite Beyonce and friends again, make sure they don't try to plug in more than one blow drier after their half-time performance. It always trips a fuse.
Having the lights go out during the Super Bowl was a bit disconcerting. It was amusing, however, to watch San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh argue when the scoreboard came back on that, as he remembered it, his team was ahead.
Officials said an electrical relay failed. It was put in place to keep the power going in case of a failure on a cable coming into the stadium. No word yet on whether the man in charge was named Murphy Law.
You just know some macho player on the field was yelling, "See? When I tackle you, it's lights out!"
The U.S. Postal Service announced last week it is suspending Saturday delivery in order to cut costs. Millions of young people paused while texting on their phones to ask, "What's the postal service?"
You have to hand it to the Postmaster General, however. So far he's the only person in Washington who actually has cut something to save money.
Remember when the only time you would associate the word "drone" with a president was in reference to how he delivered a speech?
President Obama has laid out the legal case for him ordering the assassinations of U.S. citizens using drones. And to think, Nixon got in trouble just for ordering IRS investigations.
The history of technology tells us drones are going to improve and get smaller over time. Some day you'll be wondering why that pesky fly at your picnic has a blinking red light.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Sen. Mike Lee: Let people, not courts, define...
- Robert J. Samuelson: GOP looking to kill the...
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about liberals...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- Letter: Can Iran be trusted?
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 147
- Sen. Mike Lee: Let people, not courts,... 70
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 61
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 49
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about... 49
- Letter: Can Iran be trusted? 39
- Letter: We can do better 28