The flight training that he received in the Navy prompted the Transportation Security Administration to issue an alert, warning the general aviation community to be on the lookout for Dorner. The extent of his potential flying skills wasn't known, the bulletin said.
Feb. 1 was his last day with the Navy and also the day CNN's Anderson Cooper received a package that contained a note on it that read, in part, "I never lied." A coin riddled with bullet holes that former Chief William Bratton gave out as a souvenir was also in the package.
Police said it was a sign of planning by Dorner before the killing began.
On Feb. 3, police say Dorner shot and killed a couple in a parking garage at their condominium in Irvine. The woman was the daughter of a retired police captain who had represented Dorner in the disciplinary proceedings that led to his firing.
Dorner wrote in his manifesto that he believed the retired captain had represented the interests of the department over his.
Hours after authorities identified Dorner as a suspect in the double murder, police believe Dorner shot and grazed an LAPD officer in Corona and then used a rifle to ambush two Riverside police officers early Thursday, killing one and seriously wounding the other.
The crime spree spanned across a wide swath of Southern California, prompting several police agencies, including the FBI and US Marshall Service, to form a joint investigative task force.
Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Christopher Weber, Greg Risling, Haven Daley, Michael Blood, John Antczak, Mark Evans and Julie Watson.
Abdollah can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/LATams.
- Study: Yellowstone magma chamber more than 2...
- Police name doctor killed in Reno hospital...
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a trailer
- Ancient Stonehenge gets modern-day revamp
- Representative Patterson says he'll resign...
- Massachusetts high-tech startup hopes to...
- Ron Burgundy continues to weave through...
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 United States films...
- Poll: Obama's health care law blamed... 35
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter entered... 34
- Can this marriage be saved? Republican... 29
- Associated Press survey: United States... 20
- United Methodist minister won't quit... 17
- Study: Yellowstone magma chamber more... 14
- Police name doctor killed in Reno... 9
- More North Korea purges may follow... 7