LAPD to reopen probe into fugitive former officer's firing (+video)
Police scour mountains in search of slaying suspect
The flight training that he received in the Navy prompted the Transportation Security Administration to issue an alert on Friday, warning the general aviation community to be on the lookout for Dorner. The extent of his potential flying skills wasn't known, the bulletin said.
Last Friday was his last day with the Navy and also the day CNN's Anderson Cooper received a package that contained a note on it that read, in part, "I never lied." A coin riddled with bullet holes that former Chief William Bratton gave out as a souvenir was also in the package.
Police said it was a sign of planning by Dorner before the killing began.
On Feb. 3, police say Dorner shot and killed a couple in a parking garage at their condominium in Irvine. The woman was the daughter of a retired police captain who had represented Dorner in the disciplinary proceedings that led to his firing.
Dorner wrote in his manifesto that he believed the retired captain had represented the interests of the department over his.
Hours after authorities identified Dorner as a suspect in the double murder, police believe Dorner shot and grazed an LAPD officer in Corona and then used a rifle to ambush two Riverside police officers early Thursday, killing one and seriously wounding the other.
The crime spree spanned across a wide swath of Southern California, prompting several police agencies, including the FBI and US Marshall Service, to form a joint investigative task force on Saturday.
Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Christopher Weber, Greg Risling, Haven Daley, Michael Blood, John Antczak, Mark Evans and Julie Watson.
Abdollah can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/LATams .
- Head of TSA security operations removed from...
- Obama reaches out to people a day after...
- Greek authorities begin evacuation of Idomeni...
- Chaffetz, who wants IRS chief impeached, to...
- French raid Google over 'aggravated tax...
- Cosby arrives in court in Pennsylvania...
- US biochemical engineer wins $1.2 million...
- Trump proposes wall to protect golf resort...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 85
- Anti-Trump protests turn violent... 47
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Clinton faulted on emails by State... 40
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 33
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 29
- In Hiroshima, Obama honors 'silent cry'... 24